Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sources of Economic Growth

Sources of Economic Growth

One way for an economy to produce more output is to obtain more resources. Even with the same resources, however, it is possible for an economy to produce more output if workers become more productive. Productivity is the quantity of goods and services produced from a typical hour of a worker’s labor. Improvements in productivity allow an economy to produce more output and thus earn more income. This increased income represents an improved standard of living. Thus an increased standard of living usually depends on increasing a country’s productivity. Thus, improved productivity is the key to economic growth.

Increases in productivity fall into three categories:

1. Investment in physical capital – “Build more machines.”
2. Investment in human capital (education and skills) – “Make workers more productive.”
3. Investment in technology – “Build more productive machines.”


Investment in physical capital

Physical capital is anything man-made that makes labor more productive. Fiscal policies to increase investment in physical capital include direct government spending on infrastructure (e.g., roads, bridges, hospitals) and tax incentives to encourage private businesses to invest (e.g., new factories or machinery). Monetary policies that achieve low interest rates also encourage businesses to invest more in physical capital by decreasing its opportunity cost.


Investment in human capital

Human capital is the education, training, and skills people acquire that makes them more productive. Fiscal policies to increase investment in human capital include direct government spending on education and job training or tax incentives to encourage education and skills training. Monetary polices that keep interest rates low may also make it easier for people to acquire more education by lowering the cost of loans to pay tuition and other expenses.


Investment in technology

Technological innovations usually create increases in productivity. For example, scientists have developed agricultural crops that are more disease-resistant and have thus increased the yields from our farmland. Fiscal policies that promote investment in technology include direct government spending on research and development [e.g., National Science Foundation (NSF) grants] and tax incentives to encourage private businesses to invest in discovering new technologies. Monetary policies that keep interest rates low also encourage businesses to invest in technology by decreasing the cost of borrowing money.

Economic Growth - Topics

2 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

  2. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN AMOUNT FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello everyone, My name is Mrs. Carolin Glowski, I'm from Europe, am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum, i thought their lending where real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to {Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen} the C.E.O of BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met {Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen}, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also, So feel free to contact Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen on his email address drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com


    THANKS

    ReplyDelete